Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Celebration Barn Day 9

Day 9.
Wow, nights getting longer, more "pieces" to work on, more collaborations happening, and fun, fun, fun!
We have our morning meditation and Premise work with Karen... the Premise work I really enjoy and feel is very therapeutic for my back.
Then, in two groups, we were assigned to create a 3-minute piece from a popular movie or novel. Our group chose Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Working in a large group (ours had 5 people), has many dynamics. It is a challenging and rewarding exercise in give and take, and saying yes. It helps me practice negotiation skills, positive communication, and believing in other people's (and my own) ideas.
After lunch, Avner arrived.
He talked about the "I know". When the audience laughs at something you do or happens to you (positive or negative), and you acknowledge it. That small nonverbal statement says "I'm comfortable with you watching me."
A book suggestion from him is "Uncommon Therapy".
He introduced the 3-yes-set in asking for a vollunteer.
His teachings center around rapport with your audience. (Rapport occurs when two or more people feel that they are in sync or on the same wavelength because they feel similar or relate well to each other, and is theorized to include three behavioral components: mutual attention, mutual positivity, and coordination.) So create rapport, then you can do tricks.
People laugh at completion, not cleverness.
Breath example: Inhale - There's a problem. Exhale - Interesting. Inhale - I know what to do! Figure out problem, be proud of self for self, not audience. Exhale - Share pride with audience.
 Fritz came around again, which was great. He's super nice and fun. He stayed late and watched and occasionally gave feedback on the pieces we are working on. It's so nice to have him and Davis and Karen here to help us, along with our group helping each other. It is so very valuable.
This barn experience is changing my life. I am already recognizing the impact on my inspiration, my drive, and my vision for what I intend to do with this work. It is clear that I will create a solo show. And this work makes it feel doable soon. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment